Heehee, hoooo....
So many great conversations have begun or ended this way. I truly feel that laughter is a way to connect with other people on a level that anyone could understand.
However, on my travels, I have found that laughter can be misunderstood if we are not all coming from the same place, happiness. It is because of this that I have found I am not laughing as much or in the same way as I did back home.
It does seem that children will always accept laughter, it may actually frighten them a bit here, but they will eventually let go and begin to laugh. And that is why I think I enjoy the children here so much, even with so much poverty, they can still laugh. In India, children who may don't eat much can still enjoy a simple game of futbol on a rough field; or a game of stick-tire; or just jumping in a pile of sand in the sun.
I wonder at what age we lose the ability to enjoy that which we have in front of us and instead look for money or possessions to entertain and enjoy. The more time I laugh and play with these kids I feel it is not lost, but hiding there under the surface. And for me, it breaks through when I laugh at something simple; a smirk, or an errant glare, or especially that furrowed brow we get when things don't quite go our way.
So, if you see someone letting out a laugh, a smile, or any song they choose to sing; either join in or let them enjoy it. For enjoying the moment and allowing others to do the same is all we have to do in this life.
Monday, March 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment